While Spring time for me and you might mean putting away the winter clothes, getting out the tennis rackets, and going on some Easter egg hunts, it means something completely different for Girl Ninja. Spring means hunting season… job hunting season that is.
As you all know we decided to move to Seattle. I’ve already made the move, but she wont be coming up until the end of June so she can finish teaching her first full year of Kindergarten in San Diego. We couldn’t have gotten out of SD at a better time as the San Diego School District’s budget is jacked up beyond repair. Teachers are getting laid off left and right. Fortunately, things in Washington aren’t as bad. She’s spent the last few weeks applying to various public and private school in WA.
The school district Girl Ninja would like to teach in is accepting applications for next year. She thinks this is her best chance to get in with the public school system since a few of her friends teach in the district. The pay is decent ($41K), the benefits are awesome, and the kids shouldn’t be quite as EVIL as her current students. It’s unclear how many positions are available, nor is it clear how many people will be applying for said positions. We hope she gets offered a job, but we aren’t counting on it (most school districts hire from within before they’ll look at out of state applicants).
If she isn’t able to get a contract in a public school district, she’d be happy to go private. Private schools are awesome because class size is typically small and the kids’ parents are typically more involved. The downside, however, is the pay is typically about $9,000 less than a comparable public school position and the benefits are mediocre.
If she can’t get a public school or private school contract, the last option would be to substitute teach all year. This is obviously the least desirable outcome as subbing means she never knows when or where she’ll be working. Oh and did I mention the most she could make in a school year subbing is $20,000? And that’s assuming she was able to substitute every single day, which is not likely. We’ll take what we can get, but we are really hoping she doesn’t have to go back to subbing.
We assume she will hear back from the private school she applied to long before there is any movement on her public school application. If she were to be offered the private school gig, we’re guessing she’d make about $32,000/year. That’s $12,000 more than she would make as a substitute, but $9,000 less than she would make as a public school teacher. And thus the dilemma, do you settle for second best or shoot for the stars?
Girl Ninja has made it clear she wants a teaching contract, preferably at a public school, but she’d be happy to go private over having to substitute. If selected for the private school position, she’d probably be notified in May. If she is selected for a public school position, however, it could easily be July or August before she got an offer (she didn’t get her current position until September, one week after school had started). The way I see it there are really only three choices for her to make if she is offered the private school gig.
1) Accept the offer and rescind her public school application.
2) Decline the offer and hope for a public school contract, knowing she might end up subbing instead.
3) Accept the offer, and then quit if she gets offered a public school contract.
The first two options are black and white. The third option, however, is definitely a gray area. Selfishly it’s the best option for us. She’d be guaranteed $32,000/year, but still have the potential to take a $41,000 position. It’s great for us, but bad for the private school. They could potentially be left scrambling to find a replacement. Quite the moral dilemma. And right now, we have no idea what to do. Why do I feel like we’ve been in this position before, oh wait, because we have!
Have you ever applied for and been offered one job while waiting on another? If you accept an offer are you obligated to follow through and start work? Where do you draw the line in this gray area?
of course all of this is assuming she is offered the private school position, which she might not be. it’s good to plan ahead though right?