Most of you know I’m moving to Seattle in late March. You also know Girl Ninja is not coming with me. Don’t worry, it’s not ’cause she hates me (at least I don’t think she does?), but because she’s a teacher and the school year doesn’t end until late June. That means we will be living in different states for about three months. Although we both decided she should stay in San Diego, we had a much different thought process.
Girl Ninja’s thoughts:
Last year was Girl Ninja’s first year teaching. She spent the whole year taking any and every substitute job she could get. The work was easy. She’d show up, teach some lessons, and then leave. No grading homework, no parent-teacher conferences, no lesson planning. Even though the work was easy, the job security sucked. Some days she got called in. Other days she didn’t. Work was never promised, and that made her life stressful.
This year, however, she was offered a position to start a Kindergarten class room. She was super excited because it meant she would have the same class all year. She was finally going to be a teacher and not just a substitute. She’s learned a ton over the last six months, especially in regards to the administrative aspects of the job. She feels it’s important to finish out the school year, and I can’t say I disagree.
Girl Ninja’s motives for sticking around San Diego are noble. Mine, not so much. For me, the decision really came down to numbers. It just didn’t make much financial sense to have her move in March.
If she quit her job and moved in April, she wouldn’t have enough time to become a certified substitute teacher in Washington state before the school year ended. She’d likely have to work odd jobs, like babysitting. If she stays in San Diego, however, we know that she will make between $7,000 and $9,000 (over three months) from teaching. Plus, if she ever gets that stinkin’ back pay the district office promised her, she’d bring home an extra $5,000+.
Not only will we have higher earning potential being separated during those three months, but our expenses will decrease. She’ll be living with some family friends here in San Diego for next to nothing, and I’ll be moving home with my parents, rent free. We should end up saving $4,500 just on housing costs.
(All in all, we will be between $15,000 and $20,000 better off keeping her in San Diego for those three months.)
As weird as it will be to live 1,200 miles away from each other, we both realize it makes the most sense personally and financially. I know our strategy may not be ideal. I know some of you probably think she should just move with me. But we have to do what works best for us, and in this case, being away for a short while is what works. Are our motives different? Yeah, but at least they both lead to the same conclusion.
If you were in our shoes, would you do the distance thing, or suck it up and make the move together? Am I a horrible husband for admitting the financial benefits had a huge impact on my thought process?