Spending time in Seattle over the winter break, was a subtle reminder that Girl Ninja and I could be in need of a new car sooner than we anticipated. We were up north for 10 days, one of which it snowed.
We borrowed Girl Ninja’s mom’s car to visit a friend for coffee that morning. Fortunately, we were driving a large 4WD SUV and had no problems navigating the snowy roads. Unfortunately, non 4WD vehicles struggled. Our destination was uphill, and at just about every stoplight, there were at least two or three sedans/coupes stalled out. No matter how hard the drivers tried, they just couldn’t negotiate the slippery roads.
Quite a few drivers simply gave up. They left their cars on the side of the road (or some even in the road), knowing that it was better to leave their cars parked, then cause an accident. Who would have thought just a few inches of snow would devastate the flow of traffic?
I drive a Toyota scion tC. It’s a two door coupe that, in my opinion, screams sexiness. The latest KBB appraisal of my car, showed it was worth about $10,000. Girl Ninja rides dirty in a Toyota Corolla S. KBB shows her cars value at about $8,000. My car has 36K miles on it, hers about 80K. Since they are Toyotas, they should both have quite a bit of life left in them.
Now that we are definitely facing a move (to either Seattle or anywhere else in the country), we have to face the fact that the time to replace one of our vehicles with something that a) can handle snowy weather, b) have enough space to hold future baby ninja’s and their baby equipment, and c) that IS NOT a minivan (I served my time driving a minivan in college, swore I was never going back) could be quickly approaching.
I was originally planning to delay purchasing an SUV until we had a kid, but we’d obviously need a 4WD vehicle if we move somewhere it snows. I’m a planner. Thus, I’ve spent the better part of the last week browsing Craigslist so I can get a better idea of what a nice, used, SUV will cost us. Initial research shows we should be able to get something that would meet our needs for between $10,000 and $15,000 (obviously depending on year, model, and miles).
Finding a car should be relatively easy. The confusing part for me is deciding which car we will sell before buying the SUV. Do we sell my car since we will get more $$$ for it and it only has two doors (obviously not as baby/stroller friendly). Or do we sell Girl Ninja’s car because it has more miles and will likely die sooner than sooner than mine?
This my friends, is where I ask for your help. If you were in our situation which car would you sell? Do you keep the one that will drive longer, or the car that has four doors? Am I the only one actively planning for our next vehicle purchase that could be 1, 3, or 10 years away?
p.s. Some of you will probably tell me to put chains on our cars. Not a fan of the chain game, so it’s not really an option 🙂
p.p.s. Watch the video below to see what happend when it snowed in Seattle this year. It’s quite sad and funny all at the same time (wait for the end, a community transit bus even starts sliding!)…