I have some great news to share with you. Girl Ninja was able to survive a grueling 45 min conversation (with me) about finances last night. I think I’ve mentioned it here before, but Girl Ninja is not the biggest fan of talking about money (I know she’s a freak). She knows that these conversations are important, but it doesn’t necessarily mean she is excited to have them.
I can’t really blame her though. If she wanted to chat my ear off about what happened on the most recent episode of The Bachelor, I probably wouldn’t be that excited either. In fact, I would be quite miserable. So now I sit here trying to think of ways to make finances more appealing to Girl Ninja.
Here’s what I got so far…
1) Sneak Dave Ramsey podcasts in to her iTunes playlist for when she goes running
2) Send her text messages every hour with the latest report on the S&P 500′s performance
3) Crawl underneath her bed, wait for her to fall asleep, and then begin blabbing all of my profound financial knowledge in hopes that she subconsciously retains some of the information.
4) Start telling her that I have a crush on all you female PF bloggers (in hopes that she will become super jealous and start a PF blog of her own).
All pretty good ideas right?
Seriously though, Girl Ninja and I both suck at disusing finances. She is guilty of not really wanting to talk about it (even though she knows it’s important), and I am equally guilty of being a huge PF dork and wanting to overwhelm her with a wealth of information all at one time.
I need to do better. I need to speak “finance” in a way that is appealing, or at least less miserable, for Girl Ninja. I don’t want PF to be something she has to suffer through. It would be unfair of me to demand that she shares my enthusiasm for personal finance, that’s not the way she was wired and I can’t be mad at her for it.
So now I would like to pick your brain and ask you some questions…
- In your current, or past, relationship did you have a healthy level of communication when it came to money or was one person responsible for the finances?
- How do/did you go about initiating financial discussions?
- When you do talk money, what are some areas that you focus on?
- How do you know how deep to go, so you don’t lose the other persons interest?
- Anyone out there been on the Girl Ninja side of the relationship, where you really had no desire to talk money?
I’m sure I’m not the only person that has been in this situation so I would love to hear from you all!
F.Y.I. girl ninja is completely debt free, has money in the bank , and a steady job so she’s already got the fundamentals down.