You know the old saying, “You don’t know where you’re going, unless you know where you’ve been.”? I’ve concluded whoever came up with that phrase must have been drunk, or high, or drunk and high. If you look at my career progression, I don’t think anyone would have guessed I’d be where I am today. I sure as heck didn’t plan on being here.
Here’s a sequential rundown of my positions (from high school to present)…
- Assembled x-ray machine equipment in a factory
- Worked for my college campus’ student activities dept
- Kitchen cook at summer camp
- Director of student activities for college campus
- Ropes/outdoor activities guide at summer camp
- Jansport stickerer (put price stickers on backpacks for 8 hours)
- Pac-sun retail
- Building manager for college campus building
- Background “extra” for various television shows
- Psychiatric technician
- Special Agent
Seeing that my first 10 positions are in no way related to my current job, I don’t think anyone would have predicted I’d be a Special Agent. Maybe the phrase holds true for some people, but I’d be willing to bet the majority of us would have pretty diverse career paths.
Let’s see how accurate this statement is, shall we? Take a second to drop me a comment with your job progression. Reflecting on your career path would you say you could have predicted you’d be where you are today? I’ve had 11 jobs in the last six years, how many have you had?
p.s. On Monday I will be hosting the carnival of personal finance so be sure to check back then. I expect there to be a bunch of awesome PF articles. Happy weekend everyone 🙂