I seriously feel like my life is a soap opera right now. Minus all the infidelity, murder, and poor acting that is. Okay, maybe I’m being dramatic. My life is not really all that soap opera-ish, but the last few days sure have been crazy.
As you all know, I’ve been in a two year application process trying to get in with a HIGHLY competitive federal agency. I wont share which agency, but I will tell you the position involves guns, undercover work, and bad guys. Pretty freakin’ sweet huh?! I am one step away from completing all the prerequisites to receive my final offer
Next Wednesday, I will be taking my final physical fitness test. Assuming I pass (which I should), I will receive my final offer from the agency. I already know they have me slated to attend academy from late March through August. In my third month of academy, I will be told what my division office will be. It could be anywhere in the country. New York, Houston, Detroit, Boise, no city is ruled out.
Upon academy graduation, I would then report to the field office of their choosing and start my life there. As exciting as the job seems, I find myself wondering if it is really the best choice for me and Girl Ninja. What if they station us somewhere we don’t want to live? The agency has made it very clear; you go where they tell you and we shouldn’t expect to be able to transfer for at least five years.
Some of you are probably thinking, “Why don’t you just quit if you don’t like the city they locate you to?” I’ll tell you why I couldn’t just quit. I don’t want to be unemployed! If Girl Ninja and I decide to pursue this dream job, we have to accept the fact we might be relocated to a part of the United States we don’t want to live in. I just don’t know if Girl Ninja and I are as flexible as the position may require us to be.
To make our life even more exponentially confusing, I received an email from my current employer indicating there was an opening in the Seattle field office and my agency was looking for anyone that wanted to transfer. Our DREAM city is Seattle. That’s where we both grew up and that’s where our parents live.
I love my job, I work from home, and I make a decent salary. That said, there is little room for upward movement in my current agency. I can’t imagine I’ll still be doing this five years from now.
So here is our dilemma. Do we take a huge risk and accept the dream job, not knowing if we will like the city we are located to, or even if I really would like the work? Or do we take the opportunity to transfer to Seattle (our dream location) with my current position.
There is something enticing about going on an adventure together. We will never be as flexible as we are now (not having kids or a mortgage payment). If the dream job is as COOL as it sounds, I’d way rather do that for the rest of my life, than what I currently do. Heck, there is even a small chance dream job would locate me to Seattle. But what if the dream job isn’t anywhere near as sweet as it appears? What if we live in Houston (no offense to those in Houston, but 100+ temps and 99% humidity does not appeal to me in the slightest)?
Seattle is the safe choice. I know I already like my job. We know we love the city. And we know we will be happy there.
Do we take a risk, or play it safe? We have about 10 days to make our decision!